Current Top Sellers
Why Fragtastic is the Best!
Most products on our website are in stock and shipped by us from our retail location.
Be sure to also go to Our Facebook Page and Like Us. We have giveaways, discounts, and specials on there all the time. There is no purchase necessary on our giveaways and prizes. Make sure also to sign up for our Email updates, to keep in the loop with new products and specials we are doing.
You can finally stop waiting on hold with those other online vendors. Fragtastic Reef is open 7 DAYS A WEEK - Because we care about your success and your tank!
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) Calcium Test Kit
Why test for Calcium?
Monitoring calcium levels is essential for keeping a successful reef aquarium. Reef organisms use calcium to build a calcium carbonate skeleton. Over time, as the calcium in the water is utilized, the calcium level will gradually drop. Calcium must be present for corals to grow. Even reef invertebrates such as crustaceans, mollusks and encrusting algae, require calcium to grow and remain healthy.
Calcium levels drop as it is used by invertebrates or as it reacts with excess phosphate. Making a partial water change may help to maintain proper calcium levels, depending on the brand of salt mix. Special calcuim additives are also available. Elevated phosphate precipitates calcium, rendering it unavailable to reef organisms. Phosphate enters the aquarium from tap water and as a byproduct of fish and invertebrate metabolism. Use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Phosphate Test Kit to test for phosphate. If necessary, use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Phos-Zorb™ to remove excess phosphate. Phos-Zorb is a special phosphate-removing filtration media that comes in a flow-through pouch. It conveniently fits into any filter.
Carbonate hardness (KH), often referred to as alkalinity, is important for reef organisms. As carbonate levels drop the pH becomes unstable. The carbonate hardness level (KH) should be 7-10 dKH [125 – 179 mg/L (ppm)] to encourage growth in a reef aquarium and maintain pH. Use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals KH Test Kit to measure the carbonate hardness. Add Proper pH 8.2 to increase carbonate hardness and stabilize the pH to 8.2.
|# of Drops||mg/L (ppm) |
|# of Drops||mg/L (ppm) |
The Calcium Test Kit reads the calcium concentration in milligrams per liter (mg/L) which is equivalent to parts per million (ppm).
- Read thoroughly before testing. Do not allow test solutions to get into aquarium.
- To remove childproof safety cap: With one hand, push red tab left with thumb while unscrewing cap with free hand.
- Rinse a clean test tube with the water being tested.
- Fill the test tube to the line with the water being tested.
- Holding the bottle vertically, add 10 drops of Calcium Test Solution #1 to the test tube, cap and shake for 10 seconds.
- Shake Calcium Test Solution #2 bottle vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Holding the bottle vertically, add Calcium Test Solution #2, drop by drop to the test tube until the solution changes from pink to the blue end-point. Each drop is equivalent to 20 mg/L (ppm) calcium (Ca2+). Cap and shake the test tube between drops. Be sure to count the drops added.
- A pink color should form after the first drop.
- If a blue color forms after the first drop, the calcium concentration is 20 mg/L (ppm) or below.
- As the end-point is approached, the color will usually change from pink to purple before finally changing to blue. After the purple color forms, only one or two more drops should be required to reach the blue endpoint.
For example, if you think that the saltwater being tested contains about 400 mg/L (ppm) calcium, you can add 10 to 15 drops of Calcium Test Solution #2 at once as indicated in step 5, then cap and shake. If the solution is pink, continue adding drops, one at a time, until the end point is reached. If the solution is blue, then too many drops were added and the test must be repeated, adding fewer drops initially or adding the drops one at a time.
- Bottle #1:
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Eye contact: gently flush with water for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove contact lens, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing.
- Skin contact: wash thoroughly with soap and water.
- If swallowed, contact a physician or Poison Control Center immediately.
- Bottle #2:
- Contains Sodium Hydroxide.
- Causes severe burns.
- Harmful if swallowed.
- Keep locked up and out of the reach of children.
- In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. If contact lens is present, remove after 5 minutes, then continue rinsing.
- Wear suitable gloves and eye/face protection.
- If swallowed, contact a physician or call a Poison Control Center immediately.
- In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately (show label where possible).
Limited Time - FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS OVER $29! Most orders will ship the same or next business day of when you place the order. We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Almost all items on are website qualify for FLAT RATE or FREE shipping! Order over $29 in products and receive FREE shipping on your order.
International Shipping & OrdersWe ship Worldwide everyday. Please contact us for shipping quotes and availability on any products you would like to purchase.
International orders do NOT qualify for free shipping, please contact us for a shipping quote.
We only accept Paypal as payment for international orders and customers and must ship to a confirmed address.
EVERY ITEM WE SELL IS BRAND NEW & COMES WITH A FULL MANUFACTURE WARRANTY! We do not sell used, defective, or returned product to our customers. Only exception to this is in our clearance and open box section of our website. Even those items still include a full warranty, and are usually an amazing deal if your looking to save money!
Most brands and products we sell have typically a 1 year warranty, with some products having up to 3 or more years. If you have any questions on warranties you can check the manufacture website or just contact us with any questions. At FragtasticReef.com we sell only the best products, and only products we recommend and use ourselves, so you can buy with confidence.